Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's Not Too Late For...

Such a Lovely way to demonstrate the Joy of gift giving...

This sweet tradition takes place on May 1st, May Day,
and dates back to pre-Christian Europe
as a tribute to Flora, the Roman Goddess of Flowers...
The first day of May has slowly
evolved into a Celebration of Giving...
once referred to as "Bringing in the May"

May Baskets come in all shapes 'n sizes...
from simple paper cones to the elaborate tussie mussie...
strawberry baskets to re-purposed Easter baskets...
you're only limited by your own imagination!

May Baskets are traditionally filled with fresh Spring
flowers, herbs, and small blossoming branches...
Candies and small trinkets are tucked inside as well...

Then on the morning of May Day, the baskets
are quietly 'n secretly placed on the doorknob
or porch of a neighbor or loved one...
Ring the bell...
Knock on the door...
Run fast 'n hide!


This precious act can be your
own family Spring tradition...
It's a wonderful way to teach children the
true meaning of giving without receiving...

I hope this Friday morning you'll wake to the
sounds of rustling on your porch,
your doorbell ringing, and
giggles drifting through the air as your own
Secret Goddess of Flowers runs to hide...

God bless...

Until another time... Pearl

5 comments:

Faye said...

Pearl,this is so sweet. Just as you are.What a great idea.Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

Beth Niquette said...

I can remember making May baskets! Only ours were made from braided grasses which we stitched together with thread. Then we would stuff them with moss and flowers to leave them on Grammie's doorstep.

Unknown said...

YES!!! May Day Baskets are my favorite thing! What could ve nicer than surprise flowers on your doorknob! LOVE this post Pearl! Love it to pieces :) I have even though of putting a Maypole in my yard!
Love ya,
Amy

Twyla and Lindsey said...

What a sweet post and I learned so much! I have never had a May Day surprise on my doorstep:( I don't think it is very well known in this part of the country. Too bad because it is a lovely tradition. Twyla

Marie Reed said...

You were right Pearl! I just love this post:) My goodness gracious why don't we make these little cones here in France! Now I know what I'll be making with my kids today!